Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Buy A New Car

One of the worst things that can happen to you on the way to work is your car breaking down. Now I'm not just talking about a flat tire here. I'm talking about your vehicle puttering-out and blowing smoke from the hood. Let me tell you, it's a definite bummer if it occurs. It happened to me back when I was only 19 year old. I remember being so worried that I was going to lose my job. The good news is that I didn't, but the bad news was that my car was trash. Apparently it was time to buy a new car. Not that I had the funds for that. This is when my dad let me in on a little secret. It's absurd to purchase a new vehicle when you can get one that's practically new for much less. Hmm, made sense to me.

I think most people assume that it's ideal to buy a new car. They feel that the dealership offering them something that's fresh from the factory is a win-win situation. Now, I'm not going to lie. It definitely can be. On the other hand, some folks go in to buy a new car and end up with a lemon. YIKES, that would be a bummer for sure. To spend all that hard-earned money on a new vehicle that does you wrong. This is why I prefer to purchase slightly used cars. Take the Miata I used to drive for example. I purchased this car used in 1994. It was a 1992 Mazda Miata with only 9000 miles on it. To the eye, this car appeared brand spanking new. There were no two ways about it. So naturally I was stoked at the 13,400 dollar sticker price pasted across the windshield. I had previously looked into these cars and they ran around 20 grand new. This was a deal I had to seize. I wasn't about to buy a new car when I could get one that was just like new for over 6,000 less.

Shopping around is the key. I don't care if you're in the market to buy a new car or something with a bit of wear, you need to browse first. I've often found that smaller towns sell cars at lower costs. And one major thing we have going for us as the customers now days is the web. We can see what vehicles cost, so there's no duping from the dealers. Do the research online before hitting the dealerships.